Tuesday, October 10, 2017

A New Direction

I’ve been struggling since I started this journey.  Struggling to figure out what I want to do, what I want to work on.  I like so many things: drawing with my pencils, painting with acrylic, drawing with pen and ink.  I like drawing people and surreal elements.  I feel like my art is all over the place and I jump from one thing to another trying to find the right corner to be in.  I think my main problem is I don't think anyone will be very interested in owning the kind of artwork I want to create.  Every time I think about doing the art that appease to others, the piece never turns out the way I like it.  I kept hearing the voices of great artists saying just be yourself, and then saying, “… but do it this way” or “… but don’t do that, that won’t get you anywhere.”  How do I follow these do’s and do-not’s but still be myself, still represent who I am in my work? 

Then I did something that I used to do a long time ago but stopped because it was too time consuming and, again, I didn't think anyone would be interested: stippling.  One day, in a tiny sketchbook, I just started putting dots on paper, and added more dots.  I stopped, start another image and kept going.  Pretty soon I have several images with nothing but tiny little dots.  I continued with them and remembered my passion.  


I added a layer of Indian Ink wash or splatter and stippled on top of the ink.  The results are surreal images.  Most of the images are not planned.  They just happened.  They just evolved.  They became.  I don’t know where this journey will take me but I’m going to head down this path for a while and see what happens.





No comments:

Post a Comment